IUBio

Prescription for epilepsy (DILATIN)

Chris Skelsey chriss at syd.dms.CSIRO.AU
Wed Aug 18 03:22:40 EST 1993

Hello,

I'm trying to determine if the drug prescribed to an epileptic friend is
the best for someone of his condition.

He is a 75 year old male who has suffered from grand and petit mal
seizures for 10 years. He was prescribed 300mg of dilantin per day. The
seizures were reduced, but the side-effects caused him to enter a
"zombie-like" state.

His son convinced him to reduce the dosage to 150mg per day (25mg
before each of his 3 meals and 75mg before bed). This amount still
helped with the seizures and he did not enter a "zombie-like" state.

However, he experiences severe short-term memory loss, has little power
of concentration, can fall asleep at any time and suffers from skin
problems (acne).

My questions are :

	1. Do these problems sound like they are side-effects of
	   dilatin or is it more likely that they are caused by some
	   other problem.

	2. Does 150mg dilation per day sound reasonable?

	3. Is dilatin a valid presciption for this person?

	4. Are there any alternative drugs or treatments that he should
	   be considering?

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Chris Skelsey.

 ______Chris Skelsey__________CSIRO Division of Mathematics & Statistics______
|              Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia.                |
|            Phone : +61 2 325 3173         Fax : +61 2 325 3200              |
|                     Email : chriss at syd.dms.csiro.au                         |

 ______Chris Skelsey__________CSIRO Division of Mathematics & Statistics______
|                 PO Box 218, Lindfield, NSW 2070, Australia.                 |
|            Phone : +61 2 413 7591         Fax   : +61 2 416 9317            |
|            Telex : AA26296                Email : chriss at syd.dms.csiro.au   |