IUBio

RFD: sci.med.psychiatry

Robert G. Ruegg ruegg at med.unc.edu
Sun Aug 29 21:33:59 EST 1993

Creation of the unmoderated group sci.med.psychiatry

This is the formal RFD pursuant to prior informal inquiries about how to
create this prospective newsgroup.

Charter
-------

sci.med.psychiatry will be a common forum for discussions and
announcements among those interested in such scientific aspects of
psychiatry as:
-psychobiology,
-psychopharmacology,
-inheritance of psychiatric illness,
-behavioral genetics,
-psychoneurobiology,
-neuropsychiatry,
-neuropsychology,
-psychoneuroendocrinology
-psychoneuroimmunology
-psychosomatics
-somatization disorder
-psychiatric education and training
-research support and funding
-research training
etc.

I personally would like to see the following issues appear in *another
forum* in *another hierarchy* since they are not specifically scientific.
However, I would not vote against a charter which included them if the
majority so wished.
-stigma
-liaison with the rest of medicine
-liaison with the public
-government/policy issues
-RVBS and other reimbursement issues
-etc.

Rationale
---------

1) It is tedious and inconvenient to sort through the 500 or so articles
which appear on sci.med every few days for the ones related to psychiatry.

2) If a more concentrated and focused gathering of minds can occur,
     a) we, as a discipline, can more efficiently process and integrate
new discoveries and ideas, and
     b) we may reach a "critical mass" and be capable of generating
seminal new ideas in a way not possible elsewhere.

Summary
-------
(liberally plagiarized and adapted from the postings of Ron Dippold)

sci.med.psychiatry will be an important step in linking everyone
interested in scientific psychiatry together.  Professionals can exchange
clinical information, research ideas, news, events, techniques, and get
feedback from people interested in psychiatry.  Everyone interested in
psychiatry can also get up-to-date information about clinical psychiatry,
psychiatry research, organized psychiatry gatherings, and more.  To
accomplish all of these goals with the thousands of psychiatry
professionals all over the globe, the creation of sci.med.psychiatry is
essential.