IUBio

ANN chooser (Re: Is uploading feasible?

Harry Erwin erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com
Wed Dec 22 14:41:02 EST 1993

In article <CIG0K8.23L at carmen.logica.co.uk>,
Richard Wilson <WilsonR at LILHD.Logica.com> wrote:
-In article <2et5lv$prl at wp-sp.nba.TRW.COM>
-erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) writes:
->In article <CI6s6D.6rE at carmen.logica.co.uk>,
->Richard Wilson <WilsonR at LILHD.Logica.com> wrote:
->-In article <2epn69$r4v at wp-sp.nba.TRW.COM>
->-erwin at trwacs.fp.trw.com (Harry Erwin) writes:
->->Choice is a bit more complex than just non-determinism. There are actually
->-Sure but does this mean that you agree it is non-deterministic?
->Yes, a Nash equilibrium (non-zero-sum generalization of the saddle point
->solution to a zero-sum game) requires 'die-rolling' processes. However, as
->an open system, the brain can use external inputs as the source of the
->necessary 'random numbers'. What gets interesting is that the consensus
->strategy can be expected to evolve chaotically.
-
-Are you saying that we use noise to make a choice?

Yes, if we don't want to telegraph the choice.

-
->-
->->three behavioral options open during most choice processes: go right, go
->->...
->->with work I've been doing on mass action models (Freeman Nets) to define a
->->'choosing network'.
->-
->-Glad to be of service. What you say is of interest but seems to me to avoid
->-or omit the act of choice. Yes there are several options and game and chaos
->-theory are relevant to decision making but how does dynamic programming
->-implement the act of choice?
->
->Dynamic programming provides an optimal rule for making (or deferring) the
->act of choice....
-
-So there's no choice: if the system matches an input pattern then that
-input determines the option taken, if the system can't match the input
-then it doesn't take either option.

Yes, if the game only supports pure strategies. If mixed strategies or
Nash equilibria are involved, then a random number draw is necessary.

For the non-zero-sum game with information collection against an intelligent
opponent, the optimal strategy evolves with non-stationary dynamics. FSAs
have stationary statistics.

Cheers,
--
Harry Erwin