ligand binding analysis software

Dylan Bulseco bulsecod at ucs.orst.edu
Mon Dec 12 19:48:22 EST 1994

I have had the chance of (very briefly) evaluating Prism...and liked some of
what I saw.  The built in functions for ligand binding data were great (as
were the statistical results).  I ran into much problems when attempting to
use 'user' entered equations.  Even the simple expt of copying the built in
logistic equation and pasting into the user enter equation box led to a 10
fold increase in time to complete fitting.  I never did attempt more complex
equations (ie: three site fits).  Also, there were a few "bugs" in the version
that I tried (well, if I were stretching it, I guess they could be called
'features').

Another package out there that we regularly use is Origin for Windows.  It is
a basic data analysis package, and has built functions to fit (non-linear) the
logistic, boltzman, hyperbola, and exponential equations.  It also works well
for user entered equations (ie: derived 1, 2 or 3-site equations for
competition data).  It (of course) has its weaknesses...but so far, after
evaluating Prism, Deltagraph, SigmaPlot, Scientist, and Plot-It, I am still
sold on Origin.

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.941129111930.20601A-100000 at helix.nih.gov> "Dr. Larry
Mahan" <lcmahan at helix.nih.gov> writes:>From: "Dr. Larry Mahan"
<lcmahan at helix.nih.gov>>Subject: Re: ligand binding analysis software