Seizures?

Shawn Casey casey at adra.com
Fri Dec 16 14:02:50 EST 1994

> My 11 year old son was seen yesterday by a neurologist at Childrens
> hospital.  I described to him what I called periods when I noticed
> my son would "blank" out, lasting about 2-4 seconds.  The neurologist
> had my son blow a tissue (held close to his mouth) with as much force
> as he could, for about 3 minutes.  During this time, my son exibited
> exactly what I had described.  During the few seconds that it lasted,
> the neurologist said something to my son (like the sky is blue), and
> when my the episode was over, the neurologist asked him if he had heard
> what he had said.  My son said he hadn't.  I have a few questions about
> all of this.
>
> 1.  Why did blowing the tissue for 3 minutes cause my son to exibit what
>     I had been attributing to happening only during times of great
>     concentration (such as when trying to problem solve, reason, etc.)?
> 2.  Why does my son need to be deprived of sleep the night before the
>     EEG (no more than 4 hours)?
> 3.  What are the medications Zarontin (Ethosuximide), and what are the
>     side affects should my son end up taking them?
> 4.  Why did an EEG done at age 5 not detect any of this?
> 5.  What is the difference between giving an EEG to an adult vs. a child?
> 6.  How can the onset of puberty stop this from happening (I was told
>     puberty can make these episodes go away)?
> 7.  How can I learn more about this before the EEG, so I understand better
>     what is going to be done, how it should be done, and what the
>     results will really mean?
>
> If this newsgroup is not the right place to post this message, I would also
> appreciate any information on where I should post this message.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information that may answer any of my questions.
>
> Barbara

	Barbara,

  You may want to try the ListServer "Epilepsy-List". It is a good group for
these types of questions. Here are the instructions to subscribe to the list.

--------------------------- CUT HERE ----------------------------------------

This mailing list is intended for discussions about Epilepsy and
seizure disorders.

To subscribe to the list, send mail to

	listserv at calvin.dgbt.doc.ca

and in the body of the message put the command

	subscribe epilepsy-list Firstname Lastname
		(e.g., "subscribe epilepsy-list Andrew Patrick")

Addresses:

	Administration: listserv at calvin.dgbt.doc.ca
	Discussion (the whole group): epilepsy-list at calvin.dgbt.doc.ca
	Problems: server at calvin.dgbt.doc.ca

Listserv Commands:

	The basic commands you will want to know about are:

	subscribe epilepsy-list Firstname Lastname
		(e.g., "subscribe epilepsy-list Andrew Patrick")

	unsubscribe epilepsy-list

	information epilepsy-list
		(information about the list -- the same as this message)

	help
		(more information on listserv commands)