protein assay on membrane preps in HEPES

Neeraj Jain JAINN at ctrvax.VAnderbilt.edu
Wed Dec 21 13:40:34 EST 1994

In article <3d7dqv$2ru at nntp1.u.washington.edu> Bob Perigo,
bperigo at u.washington.edu writes:
> I just realized that the 50 mMolar HEPES in which we make our membrane
> preps is interfering with our modified Lowrey protein determinations.
How
> do you get around that problem? I found nothing in the literature after
> the 1975 Anal.Biochem 67, p198 notation that it and TRIS and some other
> buffers do interfer.  Hope you can help.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Perigo	bperigo at u.washington.edu

There is always the option to TCA precipitate the proteins and estimate.
Something one should do for membrane proteins anyway. The procedure does
not increase the estimation time very significantly.
Look up Peterson (1983) Methods Enzymol. 91:95-119.

Good luck