detecting synaptic proteins

Fiberman william at neuro.usc.edu
Thu Dec 29 02:36:05 EST 1994

In article <1994Dec22.110208.12689 at alw.nih.gov> elis at helix.nih.gov (elis f. stanley) writes:

>This is the right answer to the wrong question I think - unless the intent
>is to isolate presynaptic receptors.  As I understand the post the author
>is after postsynaptic receptors that are inserted into the surface membrane. I
>do not have any answers but can we try again?
>
>Elis Stanley

Yes, I have looked at several references on purifying synaptosomes, but all
of them don't differentiate between synaptosomes and microsomes.  It seems
that any preparation of synaptosomes will contain some microsomes and vice
versa.  It may be impossible to separate these two fractions by differential
centrifugation.  To look at subcellular distribution of receptors, I may
have to do some EM work.  Any comments?

-fm