Olfactory Granule Cells

HARRY R. ERWIN herwin at osf1.gmu.edu
Sat Dec 31 13:07:46 EST 1994

Experimentally, do olfactory granule cells have active conductances or are
they passive? I finally had a (relatively) successful simulation run last
night of my olfactory bulb model using active conductances in the granule
cells, and it converged to a stable state with a small population of the
tufted/mitral cells spiking, which was enough to depolarize the granule
cells and so indirectly inhibit the remainder of the tufted/mitral
cells--a condition that didn't match what I know of the OB in vivo. A
related question is whether there is any evidence for afferent inhibitory
synapses on the granule cells.

Cheers,
--
Harry Erwin