Research opportunities

Todd J. Hager hager at iris.ee.ufl.edu
Tue Feb 8 03:36:19 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb7.123710.13226 at client9.comlab.ox.ac.uk> gip at comlab.ox.ac.uk
(Gary Powell) writes:
> I am a recently graduated Computer Science / Mathematics graduate
> from Manchester University, England.  I am very interested in
> getting involved in cognitive modelling research.

(stuff deleted)

>    2.  Are there any taught courses, MSc's or the like, for scientists
>        from a technical background who wish to become involved in
>        brain research?
>
> If there are any suitable courses, can anyone suggest how I might obtain
> funding, particularly for courses overseas.
> Comments and suggestions of any sort welcome,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Powell.

Here at the Computational Neuroengineering Laboratory at the University of
Florida (U.S.A., we are involved in neural network modelling of the brain
functions. The current research being conducted that is closest to what you
describe is in musical pitch and timbre perception, and epileptic spike
localization. The latter research has been pursued into the postdoctorate level
by graduate students who had liitle or no background in brain anatomy when they
started. Learn as you go... There is little here as of yet in the way of
computer vision research (in this lab, that is, though U.F.'s comp. sci. dept.
is heavily into it), but the machine hearing research tries to reproduce with
neural nets the experimental results gathered from human listeners. Hope you
find what you're looking for.

TJH