mouse neural development

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Sat Feb 26 21:01:17 EST 1994

In article <1994Feb26.124138.26513 at rockyd.rockefeller.edu>
darnelr at rockvax.rockefeller.edu (Robert B. Darnell) writes:

>Hello--
>
>Can anyone refer me to a useful pictorial atlas of mouse (or rat ?)
>developmental neurobiology.  We are doing in situ hybridization and
>immunohistochemical analysis of a number of neuron specific genes that
>show specific expression patterns in the developing
>mouse nervous system.  The atlases I am currently looking at are
>insufficiently detailed to allow me to figure out precisely which
>neurons/groups are staining--they are
>
>The Atlas of Mouse Development, by M.H. Kaufman (1992, Academic Press)
>Atlas of the Prenatal Mouse Brain, by Schambra et al (1992, Academic
>Press).
>
>The latter deals specifically with the developing nervous system, but has
>a remarkable lack of detail (e.g.the nominal pontine and brainstem features
>pointed out in GD 18, HOR. 5, pp 314-5).  An atlas of the human brain with
>finer detail (better picutres) seems to be
>DeArmonds Structure of the Human Brain--is there perhaps a similar mouse
>atlas?
>
>A priori. thanks.
>
>Dr. Robert B. Darnell
>Assistant Professor and Head of Laboratory

Dr. Darnell,

The Schambra atlas is pretty much "state-of-the-art" for developing mouse
atlases.  If you think it's bad, just think what life was like without it
:-).

Actually, I checked mine and do not see what the problem is.  This is as
much detail as you will ever see in a mouse brain, I think.  Recall the
difference in size between an E18 mouse brain and a human brain--the whole
section you cite is about the size of a human thoracic spinal cord.  Now
look in the DeArmond atlas for the comparable human spinal cord section
and...is there as much detail?

Basically, developmental neuro is a drag. :-)

Okay, I kinda got on your case and I still didn't answer your question
(I really don't mean to sound that strident...).  You might try one of
two approaches:

1) there is a comparable rat atlas of developing brain, but I can't
remember the title.  If you don't find it, e-mail me and I can look it
up.

2) You could contact Jerry Silver or Jean Lauder directly; they are
both quite approachable.  Tell them the problems you're having and they
might be willing to help you identify what you're seeing.

It might also help to have a good rodent atlas of the _adult_ brain
(Paxinos and Watson comes to mind immediately) handy for comparison.
That may help with identification of brain structures in the baby mice.

And a final thought...I'm kinda partial to the Haines human atlas, but
he's my chairman so you might say I'm biased :-).

Please contact me by e-mail if I can help.  I'm in the book, too, if you
want to call me.

Jim Hutchins

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS