IUBio

Is "Junk" DNA Used to Provide Genetic Memory

Meglos meglos at aol.com
Sun Jul 24 19:24:05 EST 1994

I've given a little thought to this topic - namely that it should be quite
easy for that extra
DNA/RNA in the brain to be used to store "digital" data. Argument:

Let any of the codons of DNA be assigned to a binary '0' and a binary '1'.
Now it becomes
trivial to have a strand of DNA encode digital message. Now, posit the
existance of a modified
ribosome that upon reading the messenger RNA transcribed from this
"digital" DNA uses
transfer RNA that contains not amino acids BUT neurotransmitter
precursors. Thus as the
modified ribsome "reads" the digital messenger RNA, it is releasing a
binary stream of
precursors that stimulate the release of excitory or inhibitory
neurotransmitters at the
nerve synapse. Seems plausible; any comments?

Of course, there's no reason to use a binary system to encode digital data
on junk neural DNA,
but given the discrete nature of codons SOME digital encode seems logical.

Of course, reading out the digital DNA into a sequence of nuerotransmiters
is obvious; less obvious is the task of taking signals into a neuron and
reversing the process, i.e. pulse by pulse
encoding them into digital long term emotional or memory DNA. I've given
some thought to
this as well and it does not seem insurmountable. Of course, this all
begins to have a very
Lamarkian flavour. But then again, we don't know everything :)

comments?

David Findley
TechNoir