Half-life of endorphins

colinh at psychology.leeds.ac.uk colinh at psychology.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 08:38:38 EST 1994

In article <393806$2p8 at newsbf01.news.aol.com> drmarts at aol.com (Drmarts) writes:
>Can anyone tell me the half-life of endorphins released in response to
>prolonged (i.e. a few hours) moderate-to-severe pain?
>
>Sherry Marts
>American Health Assistance Foundation

Can't tell you in humans, but I've done some work on endorphin
release in response to aggressive behaviour in mice and also
response lasts for about an hour in these animals.

Also there was some early work (by Huda Akil I think) that
measured endorphin levels just before and during labour, these
were elevated in the two days before hand and dropped to normal
within 24 hrs post partum - I don't think she measured the analgesic
response though.

If this isn't of any use - the Olsen's have published extensive
reviews of each years endorphin research going back to the
mid-seventies