A QUERY> Human spinal cord regeneration?

Dave Pataky pataky at bcu.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 1 17:00:12 EST 1994

Tony,

There is a great deal of research currently underway with rats, mice, cats
and other mammalian (and non-mammalian) species.  Currently, these studies
are mostly aimed at understanding the basic science involved in spinal
cord development and repair after injury.  There have been a few clinical
trials with things like gangliosides which seemed to help reduce the
trauma from the original injury but in terms of actual regeneration, there
has been no success with clinical trials and very limited success with
animal (mammals) experimentation.  IMHO there is not enough knowledge yet
about the basic science involved to effect successful regeneration.  It is
a problem of incredible complexity that is not likely to be solved in the
very near future, but as someone familiar with the field, I believe that
someday it may be possible.  I couldn't put a time limit on it though,
this is one of the things i like about science -  the key discovery might
happen tomorrow or it might take another hundred years of painstaking
research, you never know :)

I hope this helps,
Regards,

--