Nitric Oxide as a Neurotoxin

x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU x011 at ns2.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Wed Nov 2 08:59:44 EST 1994

In article <00986C70.E0A582E0.86 at hal.hahnemann.edu>, aston at HAL.HAHNEMANN.EDU ("G
ARY ASTON-JONES, PH.D.") writes:
>We found NADPH (putative NOS+) cells in cerebellum after injury.
>The NADPH+ cells exhibted degeneration signs. It is possible
>that NOS is involved in neuonal degenration, both from that study
>but also others referenced in our paper, which is:
>1.      Chen S, Aston-Jones G. Cerebellar injury induces NADPH diaphorase in Pu
rkinje
>and inferior olivary neurons in the rat. Exp. Neurol. (1994) 126:270-276.

Holloway (1992, Dec.)  - Unlikely Messengers - How do nerve cells communicate?
Scientific American p52(6)
reported that nitric oxide was connected to long term potentiation.
This suggest that high doses would result in degenration and permanent
memory storage.  Ron Blue