Scientific explanation of free will?

tania q duffield T.Duffield at unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 2 22:52:52 EST 1994

On Thu, 03 Nov 1994 01:53:34 +000,
  Perry Friedman writes:

Fascinating discussion, btw, but I have one or two problems with this
paragraph:

>Personally, I do not believe psychology to be true science but let's not
>get into that debate (hey, in the "modern" era of medicine, the
>psychological field has used lobotomies, shock therapy, etc.).  For the
>most part, they're just guessing.  Yes, there is some scientific method,
>trial and error, and so on, but the human mind is still a mystery and
>will likely remain so for many many years.

Could you please explain the comment about the use of psychology in the era
of "modern" medicine?

Also I do agree that the human mind is a mystery and will remain that way
for a *long* time to come, which is why I'm so interested in it. :)

cheers!

Tania Q Duffield                                T.Duffield at unsw.edu.au
School of Psychology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
"You can deal with the brain, as I say; it looks sensible. Whereas the
heart, the human heart, I'm afraid, looks a fucking mess."
                                                         Julian Barnes