Keeping track of cells on circular glass coverslips?

Lance Ladic ladic at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 4 12:45:04 EST 1994

I am posting this question on behalf of a colleague of mine:

Does anyone know a way of marking a *circular, glass* coverslip (e.g. with
grids) that will allow for keeping track of cultured cells stuck to the
coverslip between washes? (the application is calcium imaging and the imaging
machine requires the use of circular coverslips.)

A further complication is that the only lens available for viewing the cells
on the coverslip is 40x mag. (!)

Does anyone have a technique for this?

I gathered that marking the coverslips with (so-called!) indelible markers
didn't work (they washed off most of the time!), and that cutting lines in the
glass with a diamond knife also did not work (the glass would break.)

This person has told me that plastic coverslips block UV excitation
wavelengths to an exent such that they cannot be used for her application.
The same goes with attaching a "plastic backing" marked with grids to the back
of the coverslip.

If there is nothing that she can do about physically marking the coverslips,
does anyone know of a source for gridded circular glass coverslips (that do
not cost a fortune!) or any other technique for keeping track of cells on the
coverslips?

Anny suggestions would be most welcome,

--Lance.

Please send suggestions to ladic at cs.ubc.ca.