C-Fos and ANP ?

B. Zhu bz10001 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sat Nov 5 10:21:23 EST 1994

Are there any people here who are doing c-Fos and ANP ( Atrial Natriuretic
peptide ) or who know their colleagues are doing it. I am using c-fos
technique to map the central effects of ANP in the brain. As you may
know, ANP activates cGMP second messenger system to result in
physiological effects. There is one paper in which author described
Nitric Oxide ( NO ) activated cGMP to induce c-fos and Jun-B expression
in PC 12 Cells. I have spent almost half year to try whether ANP can
induce c-fos or not with different doses ( 250, 500, 1000 and 2000pmol )
by i.c.v. But, I failed to find any significant c-Fos expression in the
brain compared with CSF control. I can understand that the c-fos
expression induced by NO in PC 12 cells can not be used to argue that ANP
can induce c-fos expression in the brain because It activaed cGMP system.
But, people did find that stimulation which can induce c-fos in PC 12
cells always induce c-fos in intact nervous system.

Your help will be highly appreciated if you can let me know that some
of your colleagues have same experience, or if you can give some comments
on what I have got, especially the c-fos induction and second messenger
system, and difference of c-fos ( or other IEGs ) expression in PC 12
cells and intact nervous system.

You can contact with me through the email ( bz10001 at cus.cam.ac.uk ) or
send the email to this newsgroup.

Thanks !