Keeping track of cells on circular glass coverslips?

Peter Mulderry mulderry at castle.ed.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 08:10:05 EST 1994

In article <ladic.301.0019EB69 at cs.ubc.ca>, Lance Ladic writes:

> Does anyone know a way of marking a *circular, glass* coverslip
(e.g. with
> grids) that will allow for keeping track of cultured cells

If you need to be able to find individual cells, then the Cellocate
coverslips from Eppendorf are definitely worth a try. They are of good
quality glass and I have found that cells grow very well on them. They
are expensive, but if they're what it takes to make the experiment
work then I guess they're worth it. One problem I've found with them
is that the etched grids are not always easy to see under phase
optics.

It _is_ perfectly possible to mark regular coverslips with a diamond
stylus without breaking them. I do this regularly. Just don't press
too hard. The slightest scratch is easily visible under 40X
magnification. The technique is OK for marking a small area of
"special interest", but you will have to plate the cells at very low
density if you want to be able to find previously identified
individuals this way.
--

Peter Mulderry,
MRC Brain Metabolism Unit