hallucinogens and depression

DSprouse dsprouse at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 12:45:13 EST 1994

In article <eortega-110994224508 at tstiefel.extern.ucsd.edu>,
eortega at sdcc13.ucsd.edu () writes:

     According to my psychobiology textbook (copyright 1992), LSD binds to
the serotonin type 2 receptor and produces an agonistic (stimulating as
opposed to blocking) effect on this receptor.  A dose of LSD will
temporarily reduce the number of these receptors for a couple of days
after administration (thus the rapid tolerance build-up, and the need to
essentially double the dose of LSD in order to achieve comparable effects
if taken the day after the first dose).  However, this reduction in 5ht
(serotonin) receptors is temporary and these receptors come back after a
few days.  There is no evidence, according to my psychopharmacology
textbook (1993) of any link between LSD use and depression.