discussion on the neuroscience news group

Jeffrey S Brush jeffyb at wam.umd.edu
Fri Nov 11 08:21:50 EST 1994

matt spitzer (mwspitze at uci.edu) wrote:
>  something about a FAQ (I deleted too many lines!!)

That's a good idea, and it might need to be periodically re-posted so that
peoples' readers don't lose it after the first read.

A crucial thing, tho, is that nobody HAS to answer the questions!  If you
suspect that the person is being lazy, ignore them.  If there's a possibility
that you might at least know the name of a journal, then go ahead and tell
them.  Having been an inquisitve undergraduate, I know how demoralizing it
is to screw up the courage to go knock on some professors door to ask a well
meaning question only to get a 'haven't you been to the library' type of
response.  I managed to eventually find someone who was willing to talk, and
thus I found my graduate advisor.

BTW, I'm NOT a neuroscientist, just have a passing interest.  The impression
a 'lurker' like me gets from this group (this thread, really), is that there's
poeple out there with questions, and others with answers, and the latter feel
that it's beneath them to answer!  The world is different now.  5-10-20 years
ago, if you had access to this kind of information pipeline at the same stage
in your academic careers, can you honestly say that you wouldn't have used it??

-- Jeff Brush