Scientific explanation of free will?

Mulhisen Anneliese ix06 at jove.acs.unt.edu
Sat Nov 12 16:49:46 EST 1994

Brian wrote:
> >>This is a question that has been debated for 100's of years.  The
> >>answer for science is that there can be no freewill.  For science
> >>assumes (must assume) that nature is governed by universal laws that
> >>can be predicted and tested.  The science of behavior, psychology,
> >>also makes this assumption about behavior.  That is, all behavior is
> >>governed by natural and universal laws that, like the physical
> >>sciences, can be discovered and tested, and behavior reliably
> >>predicted and controlled.  To profess belief in freewill is to
> >>relinquish this prediction and control.

Can we say this with any certainty?  Could it be that there is a level of
free will within those laws?  For instance, in a chemisty experiment you
have a choice of what to react and the methods of reaction, but you must
follow the rules of chemistry.  Could the same not apply to humans on a
broader scale of free will in general?  Do you really think that there is
a law out there that determines whether or not we will take a step in a
certan way?  I would rather think that where our feet land is in a way
random.
I realize that this is speculative; it is not based on scientific facts.
However, we do not have the scientific knowledge to explain everything.
At times it is necessary to go by what we can deduce.  After all, that is
where science stems from, is it not?

Anneliese