NO and epilepsy

Brad Jacobs brad at chem.queensu.ca
Mon Nov 14 10:40:43 EST 1994

	In my current research I have an interest in the role of nitric
oxide in epilepsy.  Being a chemist there is admittedly a certain amount
of the biochemistry which I do not fully grasp, and thus I wish to hear
the opinion of others on the subject.
	My survey of the literature on NO and epilepsy shows that at
this time there is still much disagreement about the role of NO in
the epileptogenic mechanism.  While some papers suggest that NO is an
endogenous anticonvulsant, others suggest that NO inhibitors act in
an anticonvulsant manner.
	Given this mix of experimental evidence is there any therapeutic
advantage to a targetting of NO action in the CNS?
	Please help me clarify these results. E-mail correspondance would
be appreciated, but post if you feel the discussion is of interest to a
wide audience.

Brad Jacobs [brad at chem.queensu.ca]