HELP needed

tareq i. j. albaho tij at muenter.espci.fr
Tue Nov 15 10:49:20 EST 1994

hi everybody,

i am a theoretical physicist who has recently started working on
neural network models, and am finding some difficulty getting precise
numerical data on nervous tissue.

i went to the usual sources: kandel & schwartz, and i read patricia
churchland's book as an introduction. i also looked at various basic
introductory texts, but still could not find what i want.

and what i want is this:

i need to compile, in table form ideally, descriptions of the various
cell types found in the cerebral cortex. i need to know things like
refractory periods, length and thickness of axonal/dendritic
projections, summation periods, firing rates. also, the "background"
firing rates which i understand go on all the time in certain cells
regardless of incoming signals. it is the numbers that i need.

most texts (all the ones i've seen) seem to offer this information in
order to demonstrate a point, rather than offer it for it's own sake.
i have therefore failed to find a compendium source for this data. i
understand that alot of it would be as "averages", since no two
structures would be identical, but if i could also have an idea of the
statistical distribution of this average, then i would be able to deal
with it more accurately.

if someone out there can either 1) tell me where i could find such
data, or 2) give me whatever data he/she has, i would be extremely
grateful.

please e-mail me directly.

thank you very very much.
--