Cross-modal association in rats

Kate Jeffery kate at anatomy.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Nov 19 11:15:36 EST 1994

Hi,

I'm interested in cross-modal association in rats (i.e. whether they
can do it or habitually do do it) and am having trouble finding very
much in the literature. I did a Medline search (she adds hastily) and I
could only find a handful of articles. I'm sure there must be more out
there. Am I just looking for the wrong thing? Does it have another
name?

I'm ultimately interested in whether a rat can associate the various
stimulus properties of an object together, without explicit training.
I'm not sure whether this is the same thing as secondary
reinforcement. Some clues from an animal behaviourist would be most
welcome!

Many thanks,

Kate Jeffery