EEG and human orgasm

matt spitzer mwspitze at uci.edu
Tue Nov 22 13:56:22 EST 1994

In article <B0017.94Nov22111659 at bhrs2.nibh.go.jp>, b0017 at nibh.go.jp
(Maurizio MORABITO; Tel.6661) wrote:

> I think bizarre would have been the scene, a patient lying with ECoG
> electrodes, presumably in a surgery room, and "somebody" doing
> "something" in order to record orgasmic brain waves

Yes, but I was referring to the recording part of the experiment, rather
than the stimulus presentation.  Here are some references to Heath's work
from the period culled from one of my favorite texts in neuroscience,
Physical Control of the Mind, by Jose Delgado, M.D. (of course):

Heath, R.G. (1963).  Electrical self-stimulation of the brain in man.  Am.
J. 	 Psychiat.  120: 571-7.

Heath, R.G., R.R. Monroe, and W. Mickle (1955).  Stimulation of the
amygdaloid nucleus in a schizophrenic patient.  Am. J. Psychiat.  111:
862-3.

Must reading for anyone who was inspired to go into science as a result of
the movie, Frankenstein.