separation of vesicles

Ms. Pamela Davidson; GRAD davidson at umbc.edu
Wed Nov 23 14:00:37 EST 1994

Hello, I am a graduate student at the University of Maryland. Currently,
I am trying to develop a method to separate axonally transported vesicles
based on transit rates. I would like to separate fast axonal transport
vesicles that translocate in the lower range (ie ~200 mm/day) from those
that translocate in the upper range (ie 400mm/day). I have been thinking
about using a temperature step gradient. My initial thinking was that
maybe by cooling the axons in a gradient fashion I could stop the slower
moving vesicles at a higher temp than the faster moveing ones.  However I
have not found any literature examining the effect of temperature (ie
cold block) on differentially slowing of translocating vesicles. So I am
back to square one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which
direction I should go in order to accomplish this? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  My e-mail address is davidson at umbc.edu.
Thank you
Pam Davidson