Brain Injury

SueB1946 sueb1946 at aol.com
Sun Nov 27 22:55:20 EST 1994

  I have a young man in my care who took a bad fall on his head about ten
years ago.  He was unconscious for some time. He hit the left side of his
head particularly hard.  He also lost a few front teeth.  The family took
him to a dentist but that was all.
  He has some learning disabilities but is fairly bright.  More poverty of
thought due to lack of stimulation I believe.  His chief complaint is that
the world has "looked dark." ever since the accident. My question is would
a good Neuro. work up be of help after all this time?  I hesitate to get
his hopes up if chances are very slim of help.
  He does have glasses so he apparently has been seen by someone.  Don't
know how thorough an exam it was.  And he has only recently been able to
explain what is happening.  (Poor soul spent the last three years between
a day program and being locked in an attic.)
   He also has very mild Para. Schiz. w/ depression.   Both are well under
control.   Haldol (down to 15 mg. per day and still going) and Desyrel at
night.  He says he noticed no change in the way things "looked" w/ dosage
change.
   Would appreciate any advice.  Thank you all for your patience.  Sue
Bretz
Alliance for The Mentally Ill.