polylysine buffer

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Nov 29 19:34:31 EST 1994

I was in Norm Wessells lab at the time that Paul Letourneau worked out
the PLYS or PORN coating technique (whew! that was more than 20 years
ago) and this is the recipe that we used:

Stock borate buffer:

15.01 g boric acid
18.6 g KCl
in 500 mls water

to make working 0.15M soln:

add 150 ml stock soln to about 300 mls water, pH to 8.4 with 1.0N NaOH
(takes about 13 mls).  Bring soln up to a final total volume of 500
mls.

I once tried dissolving the PLYS in water versus borate and coated
dishes.  My impression was that more PLYS coated the plate when it was
dissolved in borate buffer so now we always do this.  Water is fine if
you don't care-  it will work too.  If you do use borate, remember to
wash the dishes well with sterile water or you will kill your cells.

Rae Nishi
Dept. Cell Biology & Anatomy
Oregon Health Sciences University
Portland Oregon 97201