heating brain slices reply

alan mcgroarty linc0103 at sable.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 15 10:05:33 EST 1995

Dear Paul
we use a really elegant little system with a small heating block about 1.5 inches by .5 by .5
( a metal block with i dont know what inside- some sort of resistor that heats up)
- Our perfusate passes along  pvc tubing and then into and out of the heater 4 times
 and then it immediately enter the bath with the slice.  The heater is slung under our perspex
recording chamber and linked to a little 'box' away from the chamber  we can monitor the heater
 temp or more usefully the bath temp with a small probe in the solution right next to the slice.
The temp if fairly stable -  even between summer/ winter mine still is at the same temp.
I have just discovered that they are actually made for us in house, but that the electronics
 guy does make and sell them outside the dept. If you contact him next week ( he's on holiday)
he'll give you more details, prices etc
His name is Chris Annetts and his number is 01865 271858.
I hope this info is of some use to you

Alan McG