Axoaxonal synapses in SC

Rob Douglas rdouglas at mckellar.com
Fri Jun 2 13:29:14 EST 1995

In article <3qcqbd$h8n at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> Christopher P. Hess,
chess at uibrl.brl.uiuc.edu writes:
>Can anyone suggest pointers to research which documents axoaxonal
>connections in the superior colliculus and/or models the behavior
>of axoaxonal connections?------

I wouldn't suprise me that they exist in the SC but I don't know of any
data (but then it has been several years since I was serious about the
SC). There is evidence for dendo-dentritic synapses, although the only
paper I have on file is quite old:

Sterling, P. (1971). Receptive fields and synaptic organization of the
superficial gray later of the cat superior colliculus. Vision Res.,
Supplement No. 3, 309-328.

There is anatomical evidence for presynaptic receptors but I think their
function is still murky.  I'd recommend looking at some papers by Glen
Prusky who has worked on nicotinic receptors. Sorry, I should have the
exact ref, but I don't.

Finally there was some influential work on branch point failures that
might be relevant.

Chung, S. H., Raymond, S. A., & Lettvin, J. Y. (1970). Multiple meaning
in single unit visual units. Brain, Behavior and Eveolution, 3, 72-101.
Chung, S. (1976). Intermittent nerve conduction. Nature, 264, 313-314.

None of this is what you want, and surprisingly old, but they might
provide good starting points for a literature search.
-Rob
---
Robert M. Douglas   rdouglas at mckellar.com        douglas at org.ecc.ubc.ca
McKellar Designs    Construction Site: http://www.mckellar.com/designs/