Neuroanatomy

David dhe at eden.rutgers.edu
Fri Jun 2 13:17:26 EST 1995

"Carmen N. Nichols" <sarnicol at reading.ac.uk> writes:

>Can anyone please point me in the direction of the best available
>neuroanatomy texts, preferably ones that deal not just in pretty pictures
>but also information on function and interconnecting circuitry.  Thanks
>in advance.

For a relatively friendly, relatively readable-all-the-way through
overview, try _The Human Nervous System: An Anatomical Viewpoint_, by
Murray L. Barr and John A. Kiernan.

When you're ready to dive in deeper, try _Human Neuroanatomy_ (the
approximately 800-page version) by Malcolm Carpenter and Jerome Sutin.

And as a companion to these, consider _Neuroanatomy and the Neurologic
Exam: A Thesaurus of Synonyms, Similar-Sounding Non-Synonyms, and
Terms of Variable Meaning_, by Terence R. Anthoney.  This is a
superbly written, compulsively detailed catalogue of places where
standard texts of neuroanatomy contradict each other and themselves.

--David