oxytocin and depression...

suzanne smith suzannes at vir.com
Fri Jun 2 20:33:24 EST 1995

Kenneth Grandchamp <grandcha at cmu.unige.ch> wrote:

> Does anyone have any recent information concerning
> the potential use of oxytocin and derivatives as
> anti-depressants ?

Wow!  You've spiked my interest. If oxytocin acts as an
anti-depressant does that mean women who nurse their newborns
are less likely to go through post-partem?

I've heard of the effect oxytocin has on generating "concern"
for the welfare of baby-rats by their mothers.  That is to say,
mothers given oxytocin are more vigilant in keeping their
pups from straying, whereas those with lesser oxytocin exposure
let their pups stray no problem.

What is the context of your query?

Ray Bourgeois
Dawson College