Memory disorders

Fredster frose at acs.bu.edu
Wed Jun 7 14:23:41 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950607174054.10875A-100000 at suma3.reading.ac.uk>,
"Carmen N. Nichols" <sarnicol at reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello.  Is anyone aware of any memory disorders that show a genetic
> component or any genetic diseases in which memory disfunction is a
> factor.  I am thinking particularly of the inability to form short or
> long term memories.  Thanks.

That's an easy one:  Alzheimer's Disease.

     1.  It has a genetic component (people who get it *tend* to have had
family members with it as well).

      2. It causes both anterograde (similar to "short-term memory") and
retrograde (similar to long-term memory in that the memories of old
information are degraded) amnesias.

Given that it is the most common form of dementia, I'm sure you can find
plenty of info on it.  There are plenty of other genetically-transmitted
neurological diseases which affect memory, but this is a start.

--
I've never met a brain I didn't like...  The users, however, are a different story.