Barriers in Neuroscience?

jeffrey brown gabbard jbgabbar at ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Jun 8 22:24:20 EST 1995

First off let me apologize for the fact that this discussion is appearing
under the wrong thread.  I meant to make my original post under "Educating
the public about science" not "barriers in neuroscience".  If this
discussion continues let's form a new header.

>: IMVHO:
>: I think it's probably a good thing to teach these ideas (as well as
>: creation stories from non-western non-christian cultures) *along side*
>: accepted scientific ideas. As long as the accepted scientific ideas
>: (which may or may not be the correct ideas) aren't ignored, this policy
>: might give students a broader base of information to draw on in thinking
>: about scientific issues. Maybe holding up the book of Genesis or the Epic
>: of Gilgamesh next to the Origin of Species or A Brief History of Time is
>: a good way of illustrating the difference (or hypothetical difference)

>: -Matt Jones

Well, I think this could be a very interesting course.  But IMHO this would
be more of a *history* of science and religion course.  We can always learn
from other cultures (past and present), but I feel a science course should
try and teach (sorry I can't think of any other term but this one) *reality*
as we understand it today.  Not mythology.

Jeff