creationism/evolution

DZuck1 dzuck1 at aol.com
Sun Jun 11 18:04:39 EST 1995

  After following the thread "educating the public about creationism" with
some interest, I have a few points of my own to add to the fray.  The
whole point of religion is in the faith of the beleivers.  So why is
everyone surprised that the creationists hold to their beliefs?  And if
the view that God created the world sounds far-fetched to the tained ear
of the scientist, imagine how the Buddhist might react to the conjecture
that humankind evolved over millions of years from something that
accidently crawled out of a tidal pool!!??
   Basically I'm saying that rather than flaming people for holding to
certain beleifs(even in the face of data to the contrary), let's remember
that the sceintific views look odd in many areas of the world.  Five
hundred years ago, all the scholars "knew" that the idea of the Earth not
being the center of the universe was ridiculous.  So how can we "know"
today that we are right?

--Douglas Zucker
  psychology undergrad, Fairfield Univ
  DZUCK1 at aol.com