Trigeminal Neuralgia

tommy bergenheim tommy.bergenheim at neuro.umu.se
Sun Jun 11 15:53:09 EST 1995

Trigeminal neuralgia in its primary form is essentially considered
to be caused by vascular compression of the nerve root adjacent
to the pons. In its secondary form trigeminal neuralgia is caused by
multiple sclerosis or compression of the nerve by a tumor such as
acustic neurinoma. The facial pain syndrome sometimes appearing after
herpetic infections presents with quite different symptoms. Further on,
the postherpetic pain does not respond to the treatment modalities,
i.e. microvascular decompressiuon, radiofrequency lesioning or glycerol
rhizotomy, used for trigeminal neuralgia. Therefore I believe that one
should not mix those two different conditions together. I don´t know
if any trail has been performed using acyclovir in any form of
facial pain.
yours sincerely
Tommy Bergenheim