Rasmussen and his bundle

Thomas P. Bleck tpb9k at avery.med.Virginia.EDU
Sat Jun 10 20:06:14 EST 1995

In article <yhayashi-1006951227520001 at 130.69.108.169>,
Yasunori Hayashi <yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
>In article <jkiernan.262.2FD898E4 at julian.uwo.ca>, jkiernan at julian.uwo.ca
>(J. A. Kiernan) wrote:
>
>>    The olivocochlear bundle was described in about 1942 by
>>    Grant Litzter Rasmussen (1904-?).  Does anyone know any more
>>    about him?  Is he still around?  He was a prominent American
>>    anatomist in the sixties.
>
>There exists a type of enciphalitis called "Rasmussen's encephalitis".  I
>do not know whether it was named after G.L. Rasmussen.  You can find some
>papers about this disease if you look into Medline.
>
>Hope this helps.
>Yasunori Hayashi
>Department of Neurophysiology, Institute for Brain Reserch
>Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
>3-1 Hongo 7-chome Bunkyo Tokyo 113 Japan
>yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
>yhayashi-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Rasnussen's encephalitis is named after Dr. Theodore
Rasmussen of the Montreal Neurological Institute.

It appears that it may result from an autoimmune attack
on the GluR3 receptor subunit, possibly as a result of
cross-reaction against a viral antigen.

Tom Bleck    (Thomas P. Bleck, M.D.)   tbleck at virginia.edu
Departments of Neurology and Neurological Surgery
University of Virginia School of Medicine