Auto "chirpers"

Rae Montor rmontor at bu.edu
Mon Jun 12 14:44:41 EST 1995

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me about
auto "chirpers" -- those little devices that make noise
when people open their car doors at a distance.

Specifically, I am trying to find out (1) how the standards
for sound level, tone, pitch, and abruptness were arrived
at (and, in fact, whether or not there *are* such stancdards);
(2) if anyone has done any research into consumer reactions
to these devices (either positive or negative), and (3) if there
are any agencies (private or governmental) that regulate them.

Please send any responses by private email to:

rmontor at acs.bu.edu

Thanks very much for your time and attention.