Info Wanted on Landau Kleffner Syndrome

Portia Iversen portia at netcom.com
Mon Jun 12 21:24:23 EST 1995

I replied earlier that LK is a newly discovered disorder - I stand
corrected! It was discovered in 1957.  Here are a few references:

Soprano AM, et al,
Acquired epileptic aphasia: Neuropsychological follow-up of 12 Patients,
Pediatric Neurology, Oct. 1994  (a study of 12 LK patients)

Tharpe AM, et al,
Landau-Kleffner syndrome: Acquired Epileptic Aphasia in Children,
Journal of American Academey of Audiology, March 1994

Marien P, et al
Some Controversies About Type and Nature of Aphasic Symptomology in
Landau=Kleffner's Syndrome: a CAse Study,
Acta Neurol Belg 1993;93 (4):183-203

Interestingly, it has  been found that  some autistic children who do NOT
fit the LK profile may benefit from a course of steroids as is sometimes
used in LK.

--
                                                                                      -Portia