Neurotherapy and ADD

Brian Thiel/Lois Henry-Thiel thielbl at primenet.com
Mon Jun 12 23:44:29 EST 1995

bsquires at public.compusult.nf.ca (Barry H. Squires) wrote:

>Does anyone have current info on biofeedback training for ADD
>and associated behaviorial and learning barriers? I have 2 articles
>(1989 & 1991) by Othmer & Othmer. I understand Lubar recently
>gave a presentation. Does anyone know where I can get a copy?
>Any source of current info appreciated. Please e-mail or post
>to this group.

The web pages of the Society for the Study of Neuronal Regulation
(SSNR) have a collection of some papers such as the Othmers' you
mention, abstracts from the annual meeting of SSNR including an
all-too-brief one on the Lubars' presentation.  We expect this to be a
rapidly growing collection.  You can point the URL to:
	http://www.primenet.com/~ssnr

There may still be tapes available (for $20-30 ??) of the Lubar
presentation given to SSNR in late April.  Joel Lubar is also starting
a journal on Neurotherapy.

Here is the abstract of the SSNR talk...

Neurological Basis and Neurofeedback Treatment of ADHD
Joel F. Lubar, Ph.D., and Judith O. Lubar, LCSW, BCD
April, 1995, SSNR Annual Meeting

Recent evidence based on regional cerebral blood flow, PET scan
studies and quantitative multichannel EEG have shown that attention
deficit disorder, particularly of the inattentive subtype has a
neurological basis.  Our data supports and extends these findings and
provides a rationale for employing neurofeedback as a significant part
of a multicomponent treatment program.

We will demonstrate the relationship between EEG changes and success
in learning neurofeedback, objective measures of change and the effect
of stimulant medication on the QEEG.  Cerebral substrates of different
types of selective attention will be covered in relation to ADD/HD and
learning disabilities.  The direct influence of family dynamics on the
EEG and ability to change certain EEG parameters is critical for
achieving long term success.

Issues relating to referential vs. bipolar recording and training and
the importance of measuring phase and coherence will be discussed in
relation to neurofeedback application in general.