MS and CP

Wise Young wisey at nyc.pipeline.com
Mon Jun 12 23:45:46 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950611195627.18000B-100000 at chip>, Clair Regan
writes:

>Is there any difference between the lesions found in CP and those found
>in MS?
>
>I know that CP does not get worse and that lesions continue to appear in
>MS but what I was wondering was:
>
>if someone had mild CP and then started developing symptoms indicative of

>MS would a radiologist be able to see a difference on an MRI scan between

>lesions that were from CP and those that were not?  I am assuming that
>there was no previous MRI for comparison.

CP is a developmental disorder that is sometimes associated with neuronal
loss and gross structural changes that can be observed on MRI.  Mild CP,
however, is usually not obvious on MRI.  MS on the other hand is associated
with demyelination of white matter which is frequently visible on MRI in
the form of "plaques".  But these changes are usually present only in cases
of advanced MS.  Early MS is frequently not visible on MRI.  A good
neuroradiologist would be able to distinguish easily between the two
conditions if they show on MRI.  Be careful, since many neurological
disorders can appear to present like MS.

Wise