on-line glutamate measurement

D. Mccrossan phsdmc at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 11:14:11 EST 1995

In article <3rmlvr$ibp at whitbeck.ncl.ac.uk> Roger Hayes <R.J.Hayes at ncl.ac.uk> writes:
>From: Roger Hayes <R.J.Hayes at ncl.ac.uk>
>Subject: (no subject)
>Date: 14 Jun 1995 12:51:07 GMT

>Does anyone know a non HPLC method for measuring Glutamate in biological
>fluids?  Have heard of HPLc methods but have heard they are very
>problamatical. Thanks,Roger

Sure, microdialysis probes can be inserted into a blood vessel to pick
endogenous glutamate.  The dialysate can then be processed for HPLC detection
of glutamte.  The protocol actually involves derivitising the endogenous
glutamate with o-Phthaladehyde.  This is a standard method for detection of
amino acids.  Yes, they are problamatical but, once you know your own  HPLC
set up, its own temperment etc... and have an optimal flow, pH, temp, voltage
etc.. then HPLC detection can be wonderful!!

This method as far as I know is reliable enough to sample in vivo
microdialysates which is about as dilute as you can get I would expect.

May be of help:

Allison LA et al (1984)  o-Phthaladehyde derivatives of amines for high speed
liquid chromatography/eletrochemistry.  Anal. Chem.,56, 1089-1096

Best of luck, Damian.