Neuophysiology of vision

Scott Selco sselco at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 13 19:56:47 EST 1995

> 	To continue. Did they find the receptive field for a
> cell and the check to see how that field effected neighboring
> cells.
>
> 	The reason why I'm asking is that I have developed a
> connectionist model of some aspects of vision (based on
> empirical studies).  The model works very well, but the
> final set of connection weights ended up looking like the
> center-surround cells that Hubel and Wiesel discribe.  But,
> theres one exception.  The fields in my model overlap.  I'm
> looking for physiological evidence that this might have
> happened in the cells the H and W examined.

Two thoughts:

1) As one goes further into the visual system (e.g., ventral
processing stream) the receptive fields enlarge and necessarily
overlap.

2) Also I believe that even in striate cortex or immediately
extrastriate (e.g., V2) cortical areas, there exists cells whose
receptive fields overlap. I recommend consulting a recent vision
text. A decent one is the Semir Zeki book "A Vision of the Brain".
You could also try perception texts.