Fibroblast Transplants as Alzheimer's Therapy

XU,CHUN,MR BFYF000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA
Thu Jun 15 00:31:50 EST 1995

In article <3ri2p7$s2m at portal.gmu.edu> herwin at osf1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:
>There are a pair of articles in the June 8 issue of Nature that suggest
>that transplanted fibroblasts engineered to release ACh may be effective
>in treating syndromes like Alzheimer's.
>
>Is this likely to reopen the debate about fetal transplants?
>
>--
>Harry Erwin
>Internet: herwin at gmu.edu
>WWW: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin
>PhD student in comp neurosci: "Glitches happen" & "Meaning is emotional"
>.
>.

The pathogeneis of Alzheimer's is not certain, however it is known that
basic and/or primary changes is not(or not only)a defect in cholinergic
syst. Therefore ACh won't work, eventhough it may work temporarily for
certian(few) case, I don't see it will have anything to do with debate
about fetal transplants.
Chun.