soccer and brain damage

Otto Hainzl e8627164 at fbma.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jun 16 19:46:36 EST 1995

Ronald Petrarca (nor at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) wrote:

:      Does anyone know anything about the subtle brain injuries which
: occur as a result of "heading" a soccer ball. I read something pertaining
: to this subject a few years ago in a study of Norwegian soccer players.
: How do the injuries occur? How well do the skull and cerebrospinal fluid
: protect the brain from repeated yet minor blows to the head?
:      I am very interested in this subject, and I would greatly appreciate
: any help. Feel free to write as much as you like!!!!

:                Ron Petrarca

:
I recently read that heading a soccer ball costs you 1000 Neurons, which
is not very much. No references.

Otto