Fibroblast Transplants as Alzheimer's Therapy

David Small dhs at werple.mira.net.au
Sat Jun 17 20:10:22 EST 1995

"XU,CHUN,MR" <BFYF000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA> wrote:

> In article <3ri2p7$s2m at portal.gmu.edu> herwin at osf1.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) writes:
> >There are a pair of articles in the June 8 issue of Nature that suggest
> >that transplanted fibroblasts engineered to release ACh may be effective
> >in treating syndromes like Alzheimer's.
> >
> >Is this likely to reopen the debate about fetal transplants?
> >
> >--
> >Harry Erwin
> >Internet: herwin at gmu.edu
> >WWW: http://osf1.gmu.edu/~herwin
> >PhD student in comp neurosci: "Glitches happen" & "Meaning is emotional"
> >.
> >.
>
> The pathogeneis of Alzheimer's is not certain, however it is known that
> basic and/or primary changes is not(or not only)a defect in cholinergic
> syst. Therefore ACh won't work, eventhough it may work temporarily for
> certian(few) case, I don't see it will have anything to do with debate
> about fetal transplants.
> Chun.

While it is generally considered that cholinergic therapies won't work
in Alzheimer's disease, because the pathology extends well beyond the
cholinergic system, it is worth considering the fact that acetylcholine
may have actions which are distinct from cholinergic neurotransmission.
This topic will be discussed at a workshop at the ISN meeting in Kyoto
next month.  Cholinergic receptors are very widespread in the brain and
may very well regulate processes such as APP processing.  Although
cholinergic therapies have proven to be unsatisfactory so far, it is
woth being cautious about the mechanism by which any therapeutic
benefit is derived.  This may not be due simply to a boost in cholinergic
neurotransmission.