interest for invertebrate neurosci newsgroup?

Michael A Kisley kisley at blue.seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 19 12:53:38 EST 1995

Carmen N. Nichols (sarnicol at reading.ac.uk) wrote:

: On 18 Jun 1995, David Longley wrote:
: > Even though I don't work in such afreas I'd very much like to see such a
: > newsgroup. Some of the most informative work in neurocience has been some
: > with invertebrates and I'd like to see it under one roof.
: >
: > David Longley

I don't think that creating a new newsgroup is necessary given the very
small volume that exists on this newsgroup.  I would rather suggest that
bionet.neuroscience becomes moderated.  This would help to decrease the
amount of posts by "laypeople" asking general questions about brain
science.  Although I don't have anything against such posts, the charter
for this newsgroup specifically states that it is reserved for researchers
in neuroscience.  If the group became moderated, the research-oriented
posts would stand out more, and perhaps the research community would
invest more energy and attention in this group.  When I say "research"
I certainly don't mean to exclude people such as clinicians and anyone
else who is pursuing a field related in some way to neuroscience.