Effect of Pento on Glycinergic transmission

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Tue Jun 20 17:07:15 EST 1995

In article <3s478m$6ne at mojo.eng.umd.edu> Didier A. Depireux,
didier at eng.umd.edu writes:
>(and it's an old experiment...). Surely someone must have looked at the
effect
>of pento on Gly receptors in the mid-brain?

If I recall correctly, neither pentobarbitone nor steroid anesthetics
(e.g. alphaxalone) have much of an effect on glycinergic responses in
chromaffin cells *at clinically relevant concentrations of anesthetic*.
On the other hand, Hales and Lambert (Brit J. Pharm. 104:619 and 210:239)
showed strong potentiation by the anesthetics propofol and
chlormethiazole, and Harrison et al (Mol Pharm 44: 628) showed
potentiation of glycine responses in transfected 293 cells by the
inhalant anesthetic Isoflurane.  I'm not aware of any compelling evidence
that subunit composition or anatomical location confers either full
sensitivity or insensitivity to any particular general anesthetic. The
subunit specific differences in anesthetic sensitivity that are usually
reported tend to be pretty subtle (but see two recent papers from Adron
Harris's and Jay Yang's labs).

-Matt Jones