Software vs. Wetware

Kevin E. Hurley khurley at quapaw.astate.edu
Tue Jun 20 22:42:50 EST 1995

   It has recently been brought to my attention that modeling neural
activity through software simulation(Neural Networks) may serve a vantage that
"traditional"(wet experiments) neuroscience may be overlooking.
   I am in the process of compiling some public domain software to test
these accusations for myself. Yet I wonder how the scientific community
in "traditional neuroscience" may reguard biological software simulation. At
the risk of provoking response due to controversy, I am under the impression
that "wet" experiments may yield sensitive/accurate data while software
simulation will produce precise data exceeding that of any "wet"
experiment. This precise definition yielded from simulation will push our
theory, and is therefore useful and necessary but maybe not sufficient.

 If you differ from this point of view hit "r" now. If you agree hit "r"
anyway and let me know.
--
   Kevin E. Hurley              |            Arkansas State University
   Major: Psychology            |            khurley at quapaw.astate.edu
   Minor: Computer Science      |            khurley at osage.astate.edu