MedLine on WWW?

Wise Young wisey at nyc.pipeline.com
Sun Jun 25 15:49:29 EST 1995

In article <3sbvav$8m1 at news.bu.edu>, martin LEACH writes:

>Medline is a commercial service....
>
>A subset of mol. biol related medline articles is stored at the NCBI in
the
>Entrez database
>
>Martin
>
>Dimitri Surmeli (dimitrij.surmeli at e-technik.uni-magdeburg.de) wrote:
>: Does anybody how to reach MedLine via WWW (if at all possible)?
>: Dimitrij Surmeli
>: Uni Magdeburg, Germany
>: dimitrij.surmeli at e-technik.uni-magdeburg.de

The Medline database is maintained by the National Library of Medicine at
NIH in Washington DC.  This is the real thing and updated weekly.  All
other online services that provide Medline data get it from NLM.  One
method of accessing Medline is through a program called Grateful Med which
can be obtained for about $30 from the National Library of Medicine (NLM,
see below).  Versions are available for both Windows and Mac computers.
You can use the program to log in directly to the NLM through on internet
(TCP/IP) to do online searches of the MEDLARS family of databases including
MEDLINE.  Unfortunately, it costs $18/hour.  This may seem exorbitantly
high cost but actually is not because the program is designed so that you
can set up the search offline and then connect briefly to upload the search
request and download the results.  You can then review the citations
offline, revise your search.  Thus, with a little experience, even long
searches should cost $1-$2 each.  If you are a student, you can get lower
rates but I don't know how this is arranged and what information they
require to give lower rates.  The Grateful Med bulletin board is
1-800-525-5756 or you can apply by mail by requesting the printed form
from:

MEDLARS Management Section
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike